Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Lightning storm

Monday night a freak storm moved in and put on quite a spectacular lightning show. My brother, a sophomore at Biola with photography interests, was inspired to take these shots. These were taken from McNally field, overlooking the baseball diamond and Hope Hall, for those that know Biola's geography.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

At 2:30am that night, I was awoken by the LOUDEST thunder I think I've ever heard. It sounded like lightning struck our backyard. I was sound asleep, then FLASHBOOOOOM. I popped my head off the pillow, terrified for several seconds before comprehension kicked in. Honestly, my first thoughts were "JESUS IS HERE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" This may sound weird, but the feeling I got when I first awoke to this dazzling light and powerful booming sound was being in the presence of God. It's the closest thing in my experience that I can relate to the idea in the Bible of being terrified by the presence of God. Or even His angels for that matter. When I read of the shepherds falling down in terror, this is how I will imagine it in my head now.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

I can relate. When I was 11 I was in Big Bear for the Sunday morning double-feature Landers/Big Bear quakes (6/28/92). They occurred at 5am and 8am with magnitudes of 7.3 and 6.4 respectively. I was only a couple miles from the epicenter of the second one.

During the first one I was SURE it was the end of the world. It was LOUD and everything in the house was falling down. I think I was screaming "Jesus help us" but I'm not sure.

The first one alone would have had a lasting effect on me but the 6.4 "aftershock" just when I was starting to feel safe again was kind of traumatizing.

Ryan said...

Daaaaaaang. Them's big quakes!

jeric2003 said...

Holy crap, I should have been outside on Monday night! That looks awesome. Instead, I crashed while watching Bernie Mac and slept most of the evening. Boooo.

BTW, thanks for a new post. I was so sick of looking at that bike.

Ryan said...

Ha ha, sure thing. I'll try posting more often.

Sher said...

Hey, so glad I found your blog! I was in those quakes Jonathon mentioned. They were quite the ground shakers.

Awesome pics! Do you think your brother will mind if I swipe them? I have a little collection of Biola pics on my computer.